Saturday, February 28, 2009

life's a bitch

I have been following this sad story from across the pond.
For those too lazy to click the link - Jade Goody is apparently a reality tv star from Britain's super-popular Big Brother show. She's 27, she has 2 young kids, and she's dying of cervical cancer.

Since I am not privileged enough to live in the UK, I admittedly don't know a lot about this girl aside from the whole "oh-no-she's-dying!" thing. From what I gather, she seems like your typical reality-tv celeb. She's kinda mouthy. She has public "beefs" with other D-listers. The dude she married last week in a heart wrenching, cancer-stricken ceremony just got out of prison for beating a guy with a golf club.

Basically - the general public would think she was kinda whack, if it weren't for the fact that she's dying. And she knows it. And she's unapologetically continuing to live her life in the great big, tabloid-filled media circus.

And I love her for it.

This month was supposed to be about my efforts to become a better, more loving person. Did that happen? No, not really. For awhile, I was concerned about this. Am I really just a huge bitch? Am I truly destined to die bitter and alone in an abusive nursing home?

But watching this Jade Goody girl has made me think. Her situation is so tragically, awesomely effed up and randomly unfair. It's horrible, and ridiculous, and kinda beautiful, all at the same time -- just like life, really.

Maybe it's not worth wasting my time, worrying about my karma points, or if I come off as "loving" person  . . . maybe it's more important to just love living - weather you are living like a saint, or a tabloid-bunny reality tv star.

Life is too short to be taken too seriously.

Which brings us to our theme for next month, people! VERY exciting . . .but I'll save for another post. In the meantime, here's a hint:


No comments:

Post a Comment